Salmon Burgers with Pepperoncini Mayo
These salmon burgers will make you fall in love with salmon for the first time or for the thousandth time. All you need is a food processor to transform a standard fillet into a juicy, addicting burger. And don’t skip the pepperoncini mayo! It serves as a spicy kind of tartar sauce that completes the dish.
Total time: 30 minutes
Difficulty level: moderate
1 pound skinless salmon fillets, cut into large sections
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup jarred pepperoncini peppers, chopped (stems removed but you can include the seeds for more heat)
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
1/3 - 2/3 cup breadcrumbs (I use Italian)
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
3 or 4 scallions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the pepperonicini mayo:
1/2 cup mayo
5 or 6 jarred pepperoncini peppers, chopped (stems removed but you can include the seeds for more heat)
1/2 teaspoon liquid from the jar of pepperonicini
Let’s do it!
- Add salmon chunks to the food processor and pulse until coarsely ground (look for a similar grind to ground beef). It should take less than a minute of processing. If it’s difficult to process, you can add a splash of olive oil to help it along.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add all other ingredients, adding the breadcrumbs last. Start by adding about 1/3 cup breadcrumbs and then gradually add more until the mixture is sturdy enough to be able to mold into patties.
- Form into 4 equal sized burger patties and then briefly set in the fridge while you make your mayo.
- To make the mayo, combine the pepperoncini, a bit of their liquid and the mayo with a whisk or spoon and then set in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To cook the burgers, you can either use a cast iron skillet or an outdoor grill. I prefer the cast iron because you can get a really nice sear. Whichever cooking surface you choose, spray it with a cooking spray or light coating of vegetable oil and then bring to medium high heat.
- Cook for about 4 - 5 minutes per side or until each side is seared golden brown. It’s okay if they are medium or medium rare on the inside, that’s how I like them and how I think they’re best!
- Serve on your choice of bun (I like them on an onion roll) with fresh greens and the pepperoncini mayo.